Building & Zoning
Building and Zoning
The City of York has adopted the following Codes:
- 2018 International Building Code with local amendments, including Appendix Chapters B, C, H, and I
- 2018 International Residential Code for One/Two Family Dwellings with local amendments
- 2018 International Mechanical Code with local amendments
- 2017 National Electric Code
- 2018 International Plumbing Code with local amendments
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
There are minimum building standards for all construction within the City of York and the two-mile extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction. Building Permits are required for most remodeling and all new construction. Inspections require 24 hour notice.
Contractors, plumbers, electricians, heating and cooling contractors, water-conditioning contractors, and utility contractors must be registered by the City of York. This ensures that citizens are hiring insured, qualified contractors for health and safety reasons.
Diggers Hotline of Nebraska -- Dial 811
It is the law in Nebraska that prior to any digging, the site shall be cleared by Diggers Hotline. Call 811 and be prepared to provide your name, the location of the job, contractor doing the work, type of work, and start date. All utilities will be notified to locate any possible obstacles to your digging and flag the underground locations.
If you see little flags in the right-of-way, it means that underground utilities have been located.
City of York Municipal Building
Phone: (402) 363-2600