Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

City of York

Building & Zoning


Ajax Loading Image


Building & Zoning Frequently Asked Questions

When do I need a building permit?

A permit is needed anytime "code regulated" changes are made to a building, a sign is installed, or a building is demolished.

Do I need a plumbing, electrical, or heating permit?

Any time changes or improvements are being made, a permit is required.

What are the building setbacks for lots in York?

Setbacks are defined by the zoning district.

How do I get registered as a building or trade contractor?

All contractors must make application for registration, pay a registration fee, and provide proof of insurance.

How do I know if the contractor is registered with the City?

It is to your advantage to check this out since registered contractors will be insured and are required to follow York City Codes.