Contact the City

100 E. 4th Street
York, NE 68467
Get Directions
  • Phone:  402-363-2600
  • Personnel Directory


Browse All |  Ask A Question |  By Type |  By Department |  By Category |  By Topic
Results 1-16 of 16
How do I report a street light out?
Call NPPD service department (toll free) 877-275-6773.
How do I report a traffic light malfunctioning, or a traffic sign down?
Call the Public Works Department at 402-363-2600;
How do I report dangerous street or sidewalk conditions?
Call the Public Works Department at 402-363-2600;
What is the "public right-of-way"?
This is the area of the City that has been platted for public use.
Who takes care of the trees in the public right-of-way?
The City has never planted trees in the public right-of-way.
When will the street sweeper come by my house?
The street sweeper has the town divided into several sweeping zones that are covered on a regular schedule.
When will the snowplow come by my house?
In a snow/ice event the procedure is to first open the main arterials to allow access to emergency vehicles.
What is backflow?
The water distribution system is designed to keep the water flowing from the source to the customer.
What is backflow/backsiphonage?
When there is a sudden reduction in water pressure in the distribution system, such as during fire fighting, water main break, or a car hits a fire hydrant--water flow can be reversed.
Is this backflow survey required?
Yes, once every five years each connection to the public water supply shall be evaulated (surveyed) to determine if any potential backflow hazards exist.
What is a cross connection?
A permanent or temporary piping arrangement which can allow your drinking water to be contaminated should a backflow condition occur.
What do I do if my survey determines a cross connection?
There are several ways to correct a cross connection: air gap, reduced pressure zone device (rpz), pressure vacuum breaker (pvb), double check valve.
What is backflow testing?
Some backflow protection devices require testing periodically to make sure they are working. High hazard situations protected by an rpz require annual testing.
Who does the testing?
A State and City certified Grade VI Operator is qualified to do the backflow testing when needed.
Why do I have to be concerned about backflow protection?
All water systems are mandated by state and federal laws to have a backflow protection program. York has met this requirement by Ordinance.
Where can I get more information about backflow?
The City of York is eager to take the mystery out of backflow and help in any way possible. Call 402-363-2600.
Results 1-16 of 16