Contact Us

100 E. 4th Street
York, NE 68467
Get Directions
  • Phone:  402-363-2600
  • Personnel Directory

In this Category

Category HomeCategory Home

More Information

History

For more than 140 years, the location of the City of York has served travelers as not only the "Crossroads of the Midwest," but also the "Crossroads of America." Once a resting place for weary pioneers traveling west, York still provides amenities to thousands of guests. The original road ranches have now given way to a multitude of lodging properties, eating establishments and customer service facilities.

York began as a point of reference for thousands of pioneers migrating along the Oregon, California and Mormon Trails. In 1869, freight stops and road ranches dotted the trails, particularly in York County. As the railroads began arriving in the early 1870s, the city began to grow as a regional farm trading center and travel stop. The fertile and rich soil -- some of it the richest in the world -- prompted many people to stay.

The City was founded by the South Platte Land Company in 1869, was incorporated in 1870 and designated as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1872 and by 1877, the community boasted 600 residents as the Burlington Railroad built a line to York.

The city continued to grow as the York Foundry was established in 1882, with York College established in 1890. Replacing the early trails that funneled settlers were Interstate 80, US Highway 81 and US Highway 34. York is credited with being the birthplace of the national 4-H program. It also features distinctive buildings constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) during World War II.

Over the years, the city grew to 8,000 residents. Epworth Village and the Nebraska Center for Women were constructed in the community, as were a large number of businesses (both retail and industrial). The town named after York, England, and York, Pennsylvania, continues to thrive after 135 years.

Click here to learn about Fred Niblo.

Click here to learn about the J.A. Parks Music Co.